Tuesday, January 31, 2012

My First Foray into the World of Blogging

This is my first blog post, so I think it’s only right that I should introduce myself. I’m Jill Newman, and I’m lucky enough to spend every day painting, felting, designing and generally being creative.  I am a lawyer-turned-artist, the proud mom of two amazing teen-ish boys (15 and 11), and married more than 16 years to the love of my life.  I have enjoyed many creative endeavors over the years, but ever since I discovered the joy of needle felting, I can’t seem to stop making things out of wool.  I also enjoy painting and creating upcycled mixed media artwork.  So I started Zazzy Peacock Studios, and I’m opening a shop on etsy (any day now!).

When I first decided to start a new business selling handmade things, I read Mary Chapin’s incredibly helpful book, The Handmade Marketplaceand found out I needed a blog.  Who knew? I really never thought I’d be writing a blog, but now that I am, I realize what an incredible outlet this is for self-expression.  I can see how writing could be an extension of my art and help me grow as a more open and creative person.  And let’s face it -- I’m full of opinions and unsolicited advice.   Over the years, I’ve tackled many cool DIY projects and had the amazing experience of doing a major (I’m talking should-have-been-a-teardown) renovation of our home – all of which taught me many lessons that I feel the need to pass along.  And I’m always having new ideas for projects that I would love to share.

So once a week (or so), you can expect to hear from me about something (hopefully) interesting – maybe how to needle felt, how to refurbish a vintage chandelier, ideas for decorating your walls with dynamic three-dimensional art and artifacts, or the pitfalls to avoid during a remodel.  And of course, I’ll be sharing my work, what inspires me, and the trials, tribulations and joys of creating and selling art.  I hope I will inspire you to explore a new creative endeavor and to share your work and ideas too. 

Me with my family doing Abbey Road in front of our house
Thanks for reading this.  I really appreciate it.  I hope you’ll check back in with me next week.  In the meantime, what’s your creative outlet?  I’d love to hear from you.
















All Zazzy Peacock Studios designs and images shown are  © Jill Newman 2012.  All rights are reserved.

No comments:

Post a Comment